Thursday 6 September 2012

Bone Marrow

I completed the first item on my 30 Before 30I have put myself on the Bone Marrow and Stem Cell registry.  I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, but adding it to this list actually pushed me to get it done.
It was actually very easy.  I just filled out a form online, then they called me to verify a couple things.  A few days later I received the package in the mail and had to do four cheek swabs.  See the awkward picture below for an example of this.  This was the least creepy picture that I was able to take.  I had mega crazy eyes in all of the other ones.  I guess you aren't supposed to take your picture while swabbing your cheek.
The eighth most awkward picture of me ever - 1 through 7 were the first ones I tried to take
Most people's first response when I told them I was doing this was "isn't that painful?"  The answer is yes.  Donating bone marrow isn't supposed to be a pleasant experience.  I think I would be out of work for a few days and in quite a bit of pain.  However, my chances of having a match are very slim.  If they did happen to find a match for me, I would be saving someone's life, and how can you say no to that?  I don't think that I could.  So I'm kind of excited that I have taken the first step and checked something off my list.  And you all should go join too!  It's easier than donating blood, I swear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment