Saturday 1 October 2016

What's in My Hospital Bag

So I was completely unprepared for the hospital when I had Parker.  Because everyone goes overdue, right?  Well apparently not.  So at 3am when I was in labour I was packing a hospital bag.  It had things in it that I didn't need and it was missing things that I did need.  Luckily when you have a preemie, you have a lot of time to send people home to get things and to go home yourself to get things for the baby when needed, but I wanted to be a bit more prepared this time around.  Hence, here we are at 31 weeks with hospital bags packed!  

My Bag

Labour items

Post Partum Items


  • Dressed to Deliver hospital gowns - I have 2, one for during labour, one for after labour.  But what can I say I'm lucky, you could wear the same for both if it doesn't get messy during the birth.  A nursing nightgown would also be a great thing to pack
  • Magazine and a book - Cosmo is honestly the best I could find...When I was trying to pick out the magazine the ones I'm interested in are fitness magazines, which aren't super applicable when you are giving birth or magazines like Cosmo...I just want it to keep me entertained for a bit
  • Robe - for walking around the hospital afterwards
  • Nursing cover
  • Slippers
  • Deoderant
  • Shampoo, conditioner, body wash
  • Hair product
  • A little bit of makeup
  • Hair elastics
  • Headband
  • Nursing bra
  • Nursing tank
  • Yoga pants
  • Underwear - no thongs here!  I have some hospital underwear and just some regular old granny panties, trust me, you will want them
  • Pads - I swallowed my pride and bought bladder control pads.  They work the best in the first few days after birth and you want something that you don't have to worry about leaks in
  • Phone Charger
  • Camera & Video Camera
  • Glasses, contacts and contact solution (I will add these last minute depending on what I'm already wearing, last time I only wore my glasses)
  • Socks - a couple pairs for during labour and after
  • Toothbrush & toothpaste
  • Nursing pads
  • Going home outfit 
  • Nipple cream
  • Lip Balm
  • Midwife Binder
  • Towel
  • Plastic bag for soiled clothing
  • Belly Bandit - My tummy went down really quickly last time and I think it was partially due to wearing this
Things I'm not bringing
  • Blow dryer, straightener, curling iron - I'm somewhat lucky in that I can let my hair air dry and it's not a complete disaster, so I know that I won't take the time to do any styling
  • A lot of makeup - ain't nobody got time for that
  • Regular pants - you won't fit into them right after the birth
  • Pump - I will hope that I don't need it, but will have it ready at home just in case.  If you have a full term baby, they typically don't recommend pumping for the first little bit until your supply is established
Ryan's Bag

Poor Ryan had no bag last time.  Luckily my parents could bring him what he needed, but this time he will be prepared!

  • Pillow
  • Fitted sheet
  • Sleeping bag
  • PJs
  • Slippers
  • Socks
  • Boxers
  • Change of clothes
  • Deoderant
  • Toothbrush
  • Magazine
  • Snacks
  • Cash - for parking and food
  • Phone charger
I actually packed his snacks and magazine in my bag, because I figured then we only have to worry about carrying one bag in when I'm actually in labour and those things are for that time.  The hospital I will deliver in also has a great food court, so I didn't pack a ton of snacks and drinks because he will be able to get decent food there.

Baby's Bag




  • Diapers
  • Wipes
  • Vaseline
  • A few sleepers
  • Going home outfit
  • Hat
  • Scratch mittens
  • Receiving blankets
  • Heavier blanket for car seat
  • Car seat
  • Journal and pen
  • Socks
Right now I have some preemie sleepers packed, if I make it further I will replace them with a few boy and girl newborn sleepers.

Last time the hospital provided us with things like pads, hospital underwear, diapers and wipes. 


I honestly tried to pack light, but you also don't know if you will be in the hospital for 4 hours, 1 day or if anything goes wrong, longer, so I wanted to be prepared.  I also have a list of items that aren't in the bags yet that I will keep available so that we can pack them last minute.  Things like the camera, my going home outfit, glasses and contacts and whatever book I am currently reading because it's just too early to lose access to all of those items because I will need them in the next 9 weeks!  I do have enough packed that if I forget any of them it's not the end of the world.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment