Tuesday 1 April 2014

The Morning After the How I Met Your Mother Finale

Spoiler alert - if you haven't actually watched the finale yet, and you want to, you probably shouldn't read this.
Credit: Boomstickcomics
{via}
Last night, 9 seasons of build up ended with the season finale of How I Met Your Mother.  The only thing I can compare this to in my lifetime thus far, is the finale of Friends (which I was in France for and missed, so really there is no comparison.)  However this finale was not satisfying for me like Friends was, where I felt everyone ended up where they should be.  This finale was actually only slightly more satisfying than the Lost finale.  

So we had a whole season of build up for Robin and Barney's wedding, a couple that although I enjoyed the fact that she tamed Barney, I never really got.  About 10 minutes into the show, they got divorced.

We had 9 seasons build up for this wonderful life that Ted had with the mother, and at the end of the show, she dies.  WTF?  Ted goes after Robin, the girl who never loved him the way that he loved her.  And from my perspective it makes his whole relationship with the mother seem kind of insignificant.  Did he love Robin the entire time?  Was he fair to the mother?  I just feel like her deserves better.  Ted is a romantic, and Robin is the complete opposite.
They are saying WTF too {via}
In real life, Ted went for Robin 6 years after his wife died.  I think that's fair.  However in the show it was about 5 minutes, and I just didn't think that his wife deserved that, even though his kids seemed thrilled about it.

I think that my main problem with this is that I never really liked Robin.  I used to think that it was Cobie Smulders that I wasn't a fan of, and then I saw her in Safe Haven and loved her and realized that there was just something about Robin that I didn't like.  Probably that she is so different from me.  She didn't want kids, her career always came first and friends and family came second, and that's not me.  So now Ted wants to be with her (again) and what has changed?  Has Robin changed?  Well I guess that's the big unanswered question at the end of the series.  

The best part of the episode however, was when Barney's baby was born and he looked at her and said "You are the love of my life."  9 seasons, and Barney ended up where he should be, finding meaning in his life.  

It's just a show, I know that. But we get so wrapped up in these things.  We let them into our homes every single week and they become real.  I don't know, maybe someday I will get over this ending...

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I felt she'll shocked! It all happened SO fast. Then I was watching Cobie's Letterman interview and she said the writers had it written fro. The very beginning! At least the writers had time to accept it. Overall I felt like the finale was just so much stuff all crammed into too little time. The wedding should've happened
    Ike half way through the final season and given the rest of stuff more time, like the gang falling apart and the divorce, etc.

    ReplyDelete