Tuesday 21 January 2014

Literary Junkies

It's time for the Literary Junkies link up again.  So let's not waste any time and get right to it!

What are you reading right now? Tell us about it.
I just finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn on Sunday and next on my list is The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks.

Sharp Objects was a slightly disturbing book.  A reporter goes back to her home town as there have been two murders of young girls.  The reporter drinks, dabbles in drugs and recently got out of a psych hospital as she was a cutter.  A fairly extreme cutter.  And then there's her family, they all have their own issues.  Despite all of this, and how disturbing I found the main character, I couldn't put this book down.  And it really was well written.

She looks so normal, but she writes some messed up books {via}
Out of the 16 books that will be turned into a movie adaptation, which one are you most looking forward to seeing this year? (Article Link)
Some of these I didn't even know were going to be movies!  I'm most excited for Divergent and already have a movie date with my cousin for that one!  But I'm also excited for Gone Girl (another Gillian Flynn book).

Divergent" Trailer Released
{via}

The Giver is a book that I read as a kid and have read multiple times since.  I'm pretty excited that it's going to be a movie.  And I also have had Unbroken on my to read list for awhile, so maybe this will push me to actually read it.
What was the worst book you've ever read?
I hated To Kill a Mockingbird and we had to read it for school.  I wonder if I read it now if I would still hate it?  I just found it to be such an American book and I found it strange that it was required reading in our Canadian schools.  It was Grade 9 so I really don't even remember it, but I think it was the first book that I had really ever struggled with.

I was also so disappointed with The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling.  I had such high expectations!  And although I made it through and it got better at the end it was a really difficult read for me and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
Do you pictures characters as popular film or tv actors? Or do you create a whole new person in your head?
I think that I generally create a person in my head, unless of course the movie has already been made.  It's always interesting to see if who they have cast is what you pictured!  I don't know if I had actually pictured them, but I remember when I found out the casting for Something Borrowed I thought they had done an amazing job and were spot on for every single character!
something-borrowed-cast.jpg
{via}
Out of all the authors you've read books by, who's brain would you want to pick the most?
Obviously JK Rowling.  (Or is that not obvious?)  Her books have absolutely had the biggest impact on my life and I would love to be able to sit down and have a conversation with her.

What have you read lately?  Anything you would recommend?
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I picked JK Rowling too! I started The Casual Vacancy before Christmas but then got waylaid reading some other, far more absorbing, books. I'm sure I'll come back to it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS love a good Nicholas Sparks book (and movie!) and The Longest Ride is definetly one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't even finish A Casual Vacancy - boring! I loved Cuckoo's Calling, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharp Objects was definitely disturbing! All her books seem to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most of us are excited to read Divergent!!! Ahhh :) The Giver is also a must for me!! :)

    I really liked Something Borrowed, and i agree with you, on a pretty spot on cast. :)

    Adri @ Adri's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just notified that Sharp Objects is ready for me to pick up at the library. I've heard it is pretty messed up, but also really good. I hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on the Casual Vacancy. One of the worst books ever. And yes, it sort of got better in the end, but what a letdown for me! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharp Objects was out of control nuts but so so good. Don't get me started on The Casual Vacancy.

    ReplyDelete