Wednesday 27 February 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Paint Chip Coasters











It's time for another Pinterest Challenge!  That means that I find a Pin that I have been wanting to recreate, and actually recreate it!  The Pinterest Challenge is an idea thought up by Young House Love and Bower Power to get us all to stop pinning and start doing. 
This time around, I decided to do something that I pinned a long time ago.  Paint chip coasters.  I think I picked up the paint chips about a year ago from Home Depot and they have been waiting to be put to use ever since.

I found some tiles at the Habitat for Humanity restore.  I splurged, $2 for 6 of them.  I'm out of control, I know.  Then I bought the big jar of Mod Podge, and since I got 40% off it was about $9.  Realistically I probably could have bought the smallest jar, but I didn't know how much I would go through.  Now I will just have to find things to Mod Podge in the future.  I didn't use spray acrylic, but I think it was something similar that Ryan already had.  So the whole project cost about $11.
I'm working hard, Pipsi is hardly working.
So I started putting the first coat of Mod Podge on the top of my paint chips and was having the hardest time trying to figure out how to get them to stick to the tile.  Ya, that just happened.  Try putting the Mod Podge underneath the paint chip.  Genius!  I'm new to this crafting thing.  I did let them dry overnight with a book on top and then put about 5 coats of Mod Podge on top.
The only thing I haven't done is to glue felt to the bottom.  I have to travel a whole kilometre down to the road to use my parents hot glue gun, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
They turned out alright I guess.  I couldn't get the edges to stick down to the edge of the tile.  If I could just figure that out I think that they would look much better.  But overall, not a bad DIY effort.

Photobucket

3 comments: