Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Casual Vacancy


I did it.  I made it through The Casual Vacancy.  For those who don't know, The Casual Vacancy is the newest book by J.K. Rowling, the author of Harry Potter.  This was her first book for adults.  The first mistake I made (and I'm sure that many others made), was thinking that this book would be like Harry Potter.  It wasn't, in any way. 

There were a lot of characters in the book.  I don't watch Corination Street, but I imagine it's something like this book.  A lot of British people living in the same town, with a lot of drama.  It's hard to keep track of all of them.  As time went on though, I figured out the characters and how they were all connected.  Once you know the characters, it becomes easier to get into the book.  I was probably about halfway through the book before I got to this point.  By the end of the book, of course I couldn't put it down. 

I don't know if I would recommend this book.  It is 500 pages long and isn't an easy read.  But if you want to read it for the sake of reading J.K. Rowling's latest book, I urge you to keep reading.  You might need to stop and come back to it.  Or you might just want to take your time.  It took me a month to read because I never read a lot of it in a day.

Like any book though, it would have been better if the characters had magic wands...Now Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is calling my name.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should have posted the picture of you in the Harry Potter or Ginny Weasley cloak (or whatever it was) that you had on here the other night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want people to be jealous of me...

      Delete
  2. YAY! You made it through! I agree with your comments. Once I got all the characters figured out, I was interested, but I still wasn't sure if I liked any of them!

    ReplyDelete