Thursday 23 August 2012

Ranting About Technology

I have a little rant here.  I'm not going to lie, I wrote this a couple weeks ago.  But then I had all these blog posts and never posted it.  But I still want to share my thoughts on technology.  I can't imagine my life without all of the little perks that technology has given us.  However, what I'm not ok with is children's access to technology.

Exhibit A: At Amy's wedding, her one and a half year old flower girl knew how to play and pause her little DVD player.
At first I thought, that's so cute.  The more I thought about it though, the more I thought, she shouldn't be able to do that.  Also, kids used to have to entertain themselves, now they have DVD players everywhere they go.  My cousins go for a 5 minute drive down the road and have to turn on the DVD player in the car.  They lose all concept of time.  They don't know what to do with themselves if the TV isn't on. It's awful.  How did we entertain ourselves when we were younger?

Exhibit B: Phones for Kids
How old are kids now when they get cell phones? I had to have my drivers license before my mom gave in.  And then it was a calling only phone, and my minutes were limited.  It wasn't for talking to friends, or texting, or going on the Internet.  This doesn't mean I want you to take away my blackberry.  I need google on my phone.  But my future children do not.  A woman I work with, her daughter has an ipod touch. Did you know that you can access WIFI from those things and make phone calls and text people?  So now I wouldn't even want my kids to have an ipod! A 12 year old does not have to text her friends.  That's what MSN is for.  I know it still exists because it pops up every time I turn on my computer.

Ok those are my only 2 exhibits.  But you get the point.  I just think that technology is taking over kids lives.  They don't have to be creative, they don't have to talk face to face, when they get bored they play video games, watch a movie or text their friends instead of figuring out something to do, or reading a book.

So, I am going to find a delorean and head on back to the 90's so that I can raise my kids there.  Because I turned out just fine.  Problem solved.


{via}

No comments:

Post a Comment