Sunday 1 July 2012

Oh Canada

Later that day, I got to thinking about patriotism.
Sorry, I felt the need to get all Carrie Bradshaw.

Anyways, the other day, in anticipation of Canada day, I started thinking about patriotism.  Canada isn't really an overly patriotic country.  We are all extremely proud to be Canadian, we wouldn't want to be anything else, but we are generally quiet about it.  But my thoughts brought me back to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.  This period of time was the most patriotic I have ever seen the country.  I was so proud to be Canadian, so proud that everyone was seeing our beautiful country and what our athletes could do.  Everytime "I Believe" was played, I was emotional.

I was watching when Alex Bilodeau won the first Canadian gold medal on home soil.  It was exhilerating.  And when Jon Montgomery won the gold and walked through Whistler village, stopped to chug a pitcher of beer along the way.  When Joannie Rochette won the bronze just days after her mother unexpectedly passed away.  And when Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue won the gold medal in ice dance.  (I'm a skater, so this was kind of a big deal).  But it was more than the medals, it was the pride in our country.  The number of times people broke out into Oh Canada.  Watching our country and our athletes on TV.  I'm sure that there will never be another thing like it in our country. 
via Although I'm not a big hockey fan, Canadians would be appalled if I left this out

So today, on Canada Day, I think back to that time, and can remember the pride that we all had in our country. We still have that pride, we just don't show it on a daily basis.  I am so happy that I was born in this country and have the honour of being a Canadian. 
       


          Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment