Saturday 21 July 2012

Baking FAIL

I had to do some baking today for a party that we are going to tomorrow.  So I decided to make Red Velvet Cupcakes.  I had one box of mix in the cupboard, but it's Saturday and I have some time so I figured I would make them from scratch.  I was using the same recipe that I used back here.

Everything was going well.  Besides the fact that my hands were stained with red food colouring that did not want to be cleaned off.  Then I leaned into some food colouring and got it on my bathing suit.  Ya I bake in a bathing suit, don't you?  So after I threw my bathing suit and cover up in the wash I realized that this is why people wear aprons.  Duh.  I got to the part where the directions said to add 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour.  Add the first half and mix and then add the second half.  So I added a cup and a tablespoon, and then added another cup and a tablespoon.  Then I wondered why my mixer kept getting stuck and they were so thick....

Let's just say I don't think I will be taking this batch to the party.

So I got out the Duncan Hines mix and whipped it up.  I had the whole batch in the oven in about a quarter of the time, it made twice as many cupcakes and I'm fairly certain making it from scratch wasn't actually cheaper than the $2 I paid for the box.  I think from now on I would rather drive to Buffalo to buy some more Duncan Hines than to do this whole "I'm a baker, let's make stuff from scratch" thing.
Nothing I did could make these look or taste any better...
I did also make these Rice Krispie roll ups, and they turned out awesome.  They are a go for the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment